When you look at a final photograph of food you don’t really get a sense of all the work that goes into what you see.
Aside from all the planning there are a number of people on set working together to pull it together—food stylists (you may recognize the dynamic duo Teresa and Whitney), assistants (go Rory), photo retoucher (Tony rocks), producer (big thanks to Mollie) … oh, and don’t forget the photographer (and resident goofball … me).
Here’s a little taste of what happens on set and behind the scenes—this from of one of our recent food photography jobs for a regional restaurant chain.
I hope you find this a little informative and perhaps even entertaining at some level. Did you notice what I use for stand-ins? Yes, woodblock type—I have an ongoing love affair with typography. Also, ever wonder what the food stylist is spraying all the time? I’ve been asked not to reveal that trade secret—I’m kidding—it’s just water.
We certainly have fun doing what we do. I hope you enjoyed seeing a portion of our day.
Twitter Updates @kyledreier
- Happy May Showers…and pancakes. Download the May desktop calendar here: http://t.co/RFPBNYA7Xr #food #calendar #photography
- Making "art" with the boys on a nature hike today. Great day to be outside. http://t.co/UN8ajRhpfZ
- Mocha on my mind. #spaghetti #food #art http://t.co/F0bskbnsfV
- This is what happens with no cable. Spaghetti art TV with rabbit ears by my 7 year old. #food #art http://t.co/t3dADBdZJ1
- Picasso? Nope. Spaghetti art with my boys. Why does this look like me? #food #art http://t.co/Vby9EMpIe5
- My fab place for a great burger. Chef John rocks. Know where I am? https://t.co/ZMuwnNSmm9
- Just learned a new word thanks to @st8mnt ..."fangirling" ... #omg