I love the Fall. Just the notion of what Fall brings is fun to me. Cooler weather, evening football games, new TV shows and Fall food … yes, it always comes back to food for me.
Gigi’s Cupcakes is in on this Fall thing, too. Gina shows up at the studio with a cornucopia of Fall themed cupcakes and Darlene and I set out to photograph thirteen cupcakes for their Fall menu. Flavors like Apple Pie, Pumpkin, Banana Pudding and Sweet Potato just to name a few.
If you’ve been around me for very long you know that I LOVE food, but contrary to popular belief, I don’t eat food off the set. I honeslty don’t know any food photographer who eats food off the set. It’s a good policy to keep, even as tempting as it might be to just sink your teeth into a wonderful looking juicy filet or slice of moist chocolate cake.
Just like many things in my world, there is a way around this chivalrous policy … extras! The extras on a shoot are those poor souls that were trying out for the lead role but didn’t quite make it. Maybe they had a lopsided top or a bent bottom. (Oh, by the way, we’re talking about cupcakes here.) The hero is the one that gets the spotlight and while he (or she) might enjoy that brief notoriety, they go from set to trash in the blink of an eye.
So, at the end of the day we end up with a kitchen full of extras just hanging around wondering what to do next. Being the curious one I am, I like to give each extra a chance, so we have somewhat of a free-for-all and do a cupcake tasting. May I give you my all time favorite? It’s the Derby Pie Cupcake. See below. I’m a fan for life. This up and coming star should not just be on the Fall schedule but should be front and center year ’round.
There you have it. Now, go down the street to Gigi’s and experience yourself. You won’t be sorry.
ps. Don’t forget about their mini-cupcakes. Super good which means they are super dangerous!
Twitter Updates @kyledreier
- Happy May Showers…and pancakes. Download the May desktop calendar here: http://t.co/RFPBNYA7Xr #food #calendar #photography
- Making "art" with the boys on a nature hike today. Great day to be outside. http://t.co/UN8ajRhpfZ
- Mocha on my mind. #spaghetti #food #art http://t.co/F0bskbnsfV
- This is what happens with no cable. Spaghetti art TV with rabbit ears by my 7 year old. #food #art http://t.co/t3dADBdZJ1
- Picasso? Nope. Spaghetti art with my boys. Why does this look like me? #food #art http://t.co/Vby9EMpIe5
- My fab place for a great burger. Chef John rocks. Know where I am? https://t.co/ZMuwnNSmm9
- Just learned a new word thanks to @st8mnt ..."fangirling" ... #omg