For some people “time off” means 18 holes of golf. I’m not those people. I’ve played golf three times. Loved the scenery. Loved being outdoors. Loved time with my friends. But my 84 on nine holes doesn’t make for much enjoyment. Yes, I’m that bad.
So, what to do when there’s a break in the action at the studio? Well, duh…shoot more food. At least that’s what food stylist Whitney Kemp and I decided to do with our recent break between commercial food photography projects.
In case you haven’t met her yet, Whitney is a commercial and editorial food stylist based here in Nashville. She and I like to collaborate on personal work when our schedules allow. (See also Hot Dog Food Art.)
Here are a few images from a direction she had in mind—rustic tarts made with black berries, cranberries, pears, plums, apples, raspberries…and I’m sure a bunch of other great stuff I’m forgetting to mention like sugar and spice and everything nice. Sorry, I don’t have the recipe to give you a shopping list but maybe the images will satisfy.
Also on set lending a hand for our day-o-tarts was aspiring prop and image stylist Caroline Brewer and of course my trusted tried and true first assistant Rory White—who by the way just had a neat photography show at The Frothy Monkey.
There you have it, Rustic Fruit Tarts.
Twitter Updates @kyledreier
- Happy May Showers…and pancakes. Download the May desktop calendar here: http://t.co/RFPBNYA7Xr #food #calendar #photography
- Making "art" with the boys on a nature hike today. Great day to be outside. http://t.co/UN8ajRhpfZ
- Mocha on my mind. #spaghetti #food #art http://t.co/F0bskbnsfV
- This is what happens with no cable. Spaghetti art TV with rabbit ears by my 7 year old. #food #art http://t.co/t3dADBdZJ1
- Picasso? Nope. Spaghetti art with my boys. Why does this look like me? #food #art http://t.co/Vby9EMpIe5
- My fab place for a great burger. Chef John rocks. Know where I am? https://t.co/ZMuwnNSmm9
- Just learned a new word thanks to @st8mnt ..."fangirling" ... #omg